Seasonal citrus and cozy vanilla bean come together to create a sweet syrup for this beautiful fruit salad. You can serve it up in pretty glassware for dessert or brunch.
YIELDS:8 – 10 serving(s)
PREP TIME:20 mins
TOTAL TIME:2 hrs 20 mins
FOR THE SYRUP:
- 1/2 c.sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 pink or red grapefruit
- 1/2vanilla bean
FOR THE FRUIT SALAD:
- 3pink or red grapefruits
- 1 qt.strawberries, hulled and halved
- 4 c.red grapes, halved
- 1 pt.raspberries
- 1/4 c.thinly sliced fresh mint
- 1For the syrup: Combine the sugar, ½ cup water, the grapefruit zest and juice and vanilla bean in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes to thicken slightly. Set aside to cool.
- 2For the fruit: Cut the ends off the grapefruits. One at a time, put a grapefruit cut-side down on your work surface and peel with a sharp knife, removing the white pith, too. Cut out the segments, leaving the membrane behind, and add the segments to a large bowl. Add the strawberries and grapes. Remove the vanilla bean from the syrup, then pour the syrup over the fruit and toss. Chill until ready to serve or overnight.
- 3Just before serving, add the raspberries and mint to the salad and toss gently. Serve in individual cups.